The Elisalex Revisited

It was back in April when I originally posted about attempting to run before I could walk with this dress. I seriously got somewhat ahead of myself in terms of my skills level ūüėČ Back then, I got some really useful tips from both Sharon at petiteandsewing.blogspot.co.uk and Barbara-Jane from babarajanemade.com on how to go about fixing some of the problems I encountered. Thank you ladies! However, since I made it in tweed-like fabrics, the heaviness of it had put me off revisiting it again until now. The Monthly Stitch’s ‘Amnesty Month’¬†gave me the kick I needed…

imageimage

What’s really good about revisiting old projects is that you realise how much you’ve progressed! Seriously, my ‘finish’ on this was truly awful! I’m still a long way from perfect, but progress has definitely been made ūüôā

Before

Before

The main problem with this make, and the one that made me most reluctant to wear it, was the unflattering length. So the first thing I did, following the advice referred to above, was to unpick and remove the original zip which was a pretty ugly, big plastic one anyway. The second main problem was the fit of the bodice.

So, as I replaced the zip with a much shorter (and prettier one), I took the bodice in a little either side of the zip. Once in, the shorter zip allowed me to chop off a good few inches off the length of the skirt to a more wearable length.

I was then left with the task of hand sewing the bodice lining back to my outer fabric. But this time, a whole lot more neatly. It’s still not my favourite make, but at least I can now wear it out, although probably only for work. Just in time for the cooler weather.

And after!

And after!

 

Advertisement

Attempting to run before you can walk…

imageimage

Mmmmm…. Ever been totally seduced by beautiful illustrations and other bloggers’ accomplished creations, when in reality the design just plain doesn’t suit you or your lifestyle?

Guilty as charged your honour!

I purchased¬†ByHand London’s Elisalex Dress¬†at the same time as their¬†Charlotte Skirt¬†pattern. At least I’ve got my money’s worth out of the latter! I loved the feminine design of the Elisalex,¬†but this beauty really hasn’t worked out great for me.

Trying to be economical, I thought I’d use up the leftover material from my first two¬†Charlottes.The fabrics coordinated pretty well and¬†the pattern stipulated that heavier fabrics would work well. In retrospect, I think the fabric choice was the key problem. The fabrics are both very much ‘work’ wear rather than evening wear but the design is very clearly ‘dressy’. The two just don’t tally ūüė¶

On the plus side, the skirt came together pretty easily- knew all that¬†Charlotte¬†practice would come in handy- but I really struggled with the construction of the bodice and the neckline just wasn’t working at all. I’ll be honest: it’s a complete mess inside. The addition of a lining helped to cover some of this up eventually, but I know¬†it’s a mess and that doesn’t make for a happy¬†garment. It kind of hangs awkwardly off my shoulders too, and is far too revealing at the back for work, which is really the only place I’d wear it. I forced myself to wear it once, but succumbed to covering most of the bodice up with a cardigan. Because of the full length zip, the length has ended up stopping at a really unflattering length on me too. I think I can just about pull it off with knee high boots and opaques, hence I’m wearing them in the photos despite the spate of unusually pleasant weather we’re experiencing currently. I’d never wear this just with shoes though – I’d look incredibly dumpy…

It doesn’t look too bad on the hanger, which is just as well as I think that’s where it will be staying! Maybe I’ll return to this pattern again once my skills have improved, but for now it’s back to attempting¬†to¬†master the more simple patterns…

imageimage