It was back in April when I originally posted about attempting to run before I could walk with this dress. I seriously got somewhat ahead of myself in terms of my skills level 😉 Back then, I got some really useful tips from both Sharon at petiteandsewing.blogspot.co.uk and Barbara-Jane from babarajanemade.com on how to go about fixing some of the problems I encountered. Thank you ladies! However, since I made it in tweed-like fabrics, the heaviness of it had put me off revisiting it again until now. The Monthly Stitch’s ‘Amnesty Month’ gave me the kick I needed…
What’s really good about revisiting old projects is that you realise how much you’ve progressed! Seriously, my ‘finish’ on this was truly awful! I’m still a long way from perfect, but progress has definitely been made 🙂
The main problem with this make, and the one that made me most reluctant to wear it, was the unflattering length. So the first thing I did, following the advice referred to above, was to unpick and remove the original zip which was a pretty ugly, big plastic one anyway. The second main problem was the fit of the bodice.
So, as I replaced the zip with a much shorter (and prettier one), I took the bodice in a little either side of the zip. Once in, the shorter zip allowed me to chop off a good few inches off the length of the skirt to a more wearable length.
I was then left with the task of hand sewing the bodice lining back to my outer fabric. But this time, a whole lot more neatly. It’s still not my favourite make, but at least I can now wear it out, although probably only for work. Just in time for the cooler weather.